Discover Turkey with flights to Istanbul and Ankara.
- Stand beneath the dome of the Hagia Sophia, a marvel of Byzantine architecture that’s now a museum but previously served as both a cathedral and a mosque. View mosaics, stand where emperors ruled at the Imperial Gate and visit the tombs.
- Discover the world of the sultans at Topkapı Palace. Start at the Hagia Eirene, a Byzantine church, then tour the Palace Kitchens and visit the Imperial Council Chamber, before stopping at the Harem complex, where royal families resided.
- Shop the Grand Bazaar. Sip Turkish tea, bargain for handwoven rugs and scarves, and visit the antique dealers who have global goods on offer.
Fly to Ankara
- Walk the ramparts of Ankara Castle, an ancient fortress that hosted every civilization since the Hittites. In summer, check the castle’s schedule for concerts and art exhibits.
- Learn about the paleolithic era at the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations. Discover artifacts from Kiiltepe’s bazaar, including tablets dating to 2000 BC, view cuneiform tablets, bulls, stags and reliefs from the Hittites and stop by the Phrygian furniture exhibit, which includes pieces dating to 1200 BC.
- Go to Anıt Kabir, the resting place of Mustafa Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey. Climb the steps leading to the marble mausoleum, visit the museum to learn about Atatürk’s legacy and view the battlefield murals from the War of Independence.