Things to do in French Polynesia
Discover French Polynesia with flights to Papeete and Moorea.
- Dive the Aquarium, Tahiti’s most popular dive site. See colorful lionfish, angelfish and black-tipped reef sharks, brilliant corals and a Cessna plane wreck.
- Stroll the waterfront at the Jardins de Paofai. Watch outrigger canoes practicing in the afternoons, visit the playground and picnic on the lawn.
- Explore Tahitian cuisine at Place Vaiete, a gathering place for food trucks. Sample barbecue and French staples, including salted galettes and crepes, ota’ika — fresh, raw mahi-mahi or tuna served with coconut sauce — while listening to live music.
- Visit Opunohu Bay where Captain James Cook anchored in 1777. Relax on the beach, go snorkeling or kayaking and watch the dolphins beneath the distant mountains.
- Go to Belvedere Lookout for panoramic views of Cook’s Bay and Opunohu Bay. Plan for a picnic as the sun sets.
- Learn about Tahitian culture at the Tiki Village. Explore reconstructed huts and learn weaving, sarong dyeing and traditional Tahitian dance. Attend the Great Polynesian Night and listen to ukuleles, sample traditional cuisine and watch the dancers.