Book early and get the lowest airfares to Santo Domingo
Return Thu 25 Oct 2018
The capital city of the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo combines politics with a historic city center that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site — an area that’s sure to charm you.
Santo Domingo’s top attractions
- Stroll around the Colonial Zone, and see important sites such as the Fortress of Santo Domingo, Cathedral of Santa María la Menor, Panteon Nacional and various churches.
- Explore different ecosystems within Jardín Botánico Nacional (National Botanical Garden).
- Tour the museums of Plaza de la Cultura.
- Walk along the oceanfront promenade, Malecón, and enjoy lovely views and carriage rides.
- Tour Los Tres Ojos (“the three eyes”), a series of freshwater lagoons and limestone caves.
Best time to travel to Santo Domingo
Both summer and winter are peak times to visit Santo Domingo. Spring and fall offer pleasant weather with fewer crowds. The springtime Carnaval República Dominicana is a great way to experience the lively culture, with parades, competitions, food, music, costumes and masks. The summertime Festival del Merengue features free concerts, dancing in the streets and shows with professional dancers.