Book early and get the lowest airfares to Hamburg
Return Sat 3 Nov 2018
Hamburg is the second-largest city in Germany. Being close to the sea, Hamburg has a maritime character and is dominated by the river Elbe and the Alster Lake. Fun fact: Hamburg has more bridges than Venice and Amsterdam put together.
Tourist attractions in Hamburg
- The Elbphilharmonie is Hamburg´s new landmark and one of the best concert halls in the world: a shimmering glass dome over the brick body of an old cocoa warehouse - highlights: the public PLAZA with a panoramic view over the city and the port.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2015: Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District - the largest warehouse complex in the world with its typical red brick architecture.
- Miniatur Wunderland - most popular tourist attraction by foreign visitors to Germany and the largest model railway in the world
- From Landungsbrücken visitors have the perfect view of a mighty port bustling with maritime life. This is also the traffic hub for port ferries, Elbe ferries and excursion boats.
- Hamburg’s Town Hall is built in a magnificent neo-renaissance style, featuring more rooms than the Buckingham Palace.
- The Alster Lake is the heart of the green city: sailboats, canoes, rowboats and pedal boats can be hired here. We recommend to embark on an Alster boat trip in the summer and a ”mulled wine trip” in the winter.
- Wonderful shopping location with historic shopping arcades and spacious boulevards. Popular Hamburg brands are Jil Sander, Montblanc, Nivea and Steinway.
- Many beautiful parks, such as Stadtpark, Planten un Blomen, and the Alsterpark, where you can relax and enjoy numerous outdoor activities.
Best time for a visit to Hamburg
Hamburg is a destination worth visiting year-round. Each season has its own charm with plenty of activities and events.
In summer, you can spend time in parks, in beach bars or on the water. You can also choose from various festivals. Alstervergnügen is Hamburg’s main summer festival. The free event takes place at Alster Lake, with many food stalls, several live music stages and large firework displays.
The popular Haspa Marathon usually takes place in late spring.
Spring, summer and winter host the Hamburger Dom, a lively funfair that is suitable for the whole family.
In winter, Hamburg is well-known for its many beautiful Christmas markets.