Plan ahead and get the best flights to Puerto Plata (POP)
Fly to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, with United Airlines from over 200 airports within the United States and an additional 100 airports internationally.
Puerto Plata’s top attractions
- Ride a cable car up Mount Isabel de Torres to view El Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer) statue, an exact replica of the landmark in Rio de Janeiro.
- Learn about the region’s history at Fortaleza San Felipe (Fortress San Felipe).
- Swim or lounge on the many beaches.
- Head inland to explore waterfalls and hiking trails.
- Snorkel or scuba dive along the coast.
- Take a tour of the countryside and learn about local traditions.
Best time to travel to Puerto Plata
Visit Puerto Plata year-round to take advantage of warm days and sunny skies. The winter is the most popular season, when Puerto Plata hosts events including the Dominican Republic Professional Baseball League championship series and the Puerto Plata Carnival. May and June are also pleasant times to visit, with smaller crowds. Late summer into November sees daily showers and potential hurricanes.