Things to do in New Zealand
Discover New Zealand with flights to Auckland and Wellington.
- View Auckland from the observation deck of the iconic Sky Tower, then try to identify nearby volcanos.
- Explore Rangitoto Island, New Zealand’s youngest volcano. Join a guided hike along the Rangitoto Motutapu Track, then follow the Rangitoto Summit Track to find lava fields and the world’s largest pōhutukawa forest. Afterward, stroll through kowhai groves or hike to McKenzie Bay.
- Visit the sub-Antarctic penguins at Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life Aquarium. Explore a replica of Captain Robert Scott’s Antarctic hut. Learn about sea turtle rehabilitation and head to the shark tunnel to see endangered sand tiger sharks swimming. If you’re feeling brave, climb in a cage to swim with the sharks.
Fly to Wellington
- Spend a day exploring New Zealand’s natural history and art at the Museum of New Zealand (Te Papa Tongarewa). Discover New Zealand’s transition from pristine forests to cultivated land at the Blood Earth Fire exhibit, then learn about native peoples at the Tangata o le Moana exhibit.
- Experience the range of biodiversity at Zealandia, an urban ecosanctuary. Join a tour to learn to identify tuatara, whitehead and hihi birds. As twilight nears, the forest comes alive with nocturnal birds, glow-worms and tuataras.
- Stroll the Wellington Botanic Garden. Visit the Māori flax and weaving collection, explore the Native forest and see the hīnau tree. If you visit in winter, watch the tui birds drink nectar from aloe flowers.